Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Music - Trying to get licensing maybe...

Hi guys, so while editing the sound portion of my video, a song popped into my head that works perfectly with the sequence I was working on.  "Too Much Time On My Hands" by Styx works perfectly.  So I began to look up how to obtain licensing and it doesn't look easy, or within my timeframe (I started on this WAAAYY to late).



This website here outlines the two separate licenses I need to get things rolling.

The first license I need to obtain is through the copyright holder, usually the publisher.  This is called the Synchronization license.  It allows me to synchronize the song to my film, as it suggests in the name.

The second license is from the record company that handles the song/band.  This is called the Master Use license and it allows me to reproduce the recording of the song in my film.

Now I know time is running out, so I am not 100% totally putting all my eggs in one basket with this song.  If anything, I can write something similar and record it myself or just find a royalty-free song (the hassle-free version of my troubles). 

I will keep updating on the status of this, I have contacted the publisher thus far, let's see if they will let me use this song in my film...  Wish me luck!

'Til Next time!

Sources:
How To Acquire Music For Films. (n.d.). Retrieved April 03, 2018, from https://www.ascap.com/help/career-development/how-to-acquire-music-for-films

No comments:

Post a Comment

(infinite.void);

SO the title of my film is (infinite.void);  stylized with the punctuation to make it feel more computery.  It is still just pronounced as I...